About Me

I am currently an intern with ESPN's Wide World of Sports and working on my Master's of Sport Administration at Belmont University. I am a sports addict, but just cant stand the way it gets fed to the public. Follow me on twitter @reCash22

Friday, July 8, 2011

No Average Joe

Ok I will admit it, I am a homer. I am for all things Browns, Indians, and Cavaliers. I root for them, and I hold grudges. So I have to admit, while watching the 2010 NFL Draft, I was not all that enthralled with the Browns' selection of Florida cornerback Joe Haden with the #7 overall pick. Never mind all the "experts" analysis: "he's not fast enough, too short, not physical enough...blah blah blah," he went to FLORIDA! The university that whooped up on my Buckeyes in football and twice in basketball. I still do not drink Gatorade to this day because of that football game! And now I have to root for him?

He's only played for the Browns for a year, and only started a little over half of the games, but that is enough for me, I am sold. I am a Joe Haden fan! No matter what school he went to. The man get's it! He understand what it is that we Clevelanders crave! And because of that I can only hope the Browns find 21 more guys just like him.

I am sure you all think that I am going to go straight to his stats and wax poetically about him being a stud corner (even though I could, six picks as a rookie in a division stacked with wide receiver talent is no short feat) but it goes beyond that. Way beyond that. He doesn't just do it on the field, he does it off the field too! He has found a way to become a fan favorite after only a year, and it wasn't because he ran his mouth, nope, just his tweets!



***
It was April Fools Day this year when a 12-year old little league team found out their team sponsor was not going to sponsor the team any longer, and the season was in jeopardy. So the coach did what any reasonable person, who was coaching a bunch of 12-year old boys, would do, he tweeted! Actually, he sent a tweet to @JoeHaden23 on a whim asking to sponsor his kids' team. Now, even the coach admitted he thought nothing would come of it. That was, until, Haden tweeted him back! Haden ended up getting in touch with the coach, handed the coach cash to pay the league fees, and supply uniforms, and in the process made a bunch of 12-year old's year!

Haden is quoted in the article by Zac Jackson, that I linked above, saying, "I'm really fortunate to have grown up watching my father help people when he could. And now that I'm in the position to do the same, I'm always looking to do the same." I think I just heard the collective, "ahhhhhhh," as in, breath of fresh air? In today's "look at me, look at me" celebrity world, here's a kid (Haden is only 22) who get's it!

But this story goes a little further than, "Oh here ya go, here's your league fees, have a good season." No, Haden went above and beyond that. The first doubleheader of the year for the team, now named Haden Nation, Haden catches a flight, drives an hour, and makes to the kids game, sits in the dugout with the kids, and watches them win. Seriously?! Is this guy for real? YES! This wasn't scripted, that actually happened. The guy could have easily said, "Man, I just flew in, I'll catch another game." But no, he said he would be there, no matter how long of a drive it was, and he showed up!

Whether or not you are a Brown's fan, or a Haden fan, you should appreciate that, and have a new found respect for this man. But wait, there is more. And here is why he is a Cleveland fan favorite...

 ***
It was probably just a regular Tuesday early afternoon, June 21st, most people at work are looking for a way to kill 30 minutes of their day, and hop on their twitter to find a tweet from @JoeHaden23: beachwood at 415! Lunch on me just come over and say you follow me on twitter and ill take your bill!

I'm sure you're thinking, funny joke! Well 55 fans fell for the joke, and ended up with a free lunch
***

But there is more, during a Cavaliers home game, Haden showed up court-side dressed in full uniform with fan favorite Anderson Varejao wig. And was spotted at Progressive Field in an Indians uniform, pants and all!


He is exactly what the fans of Cleveland yearn for, and nothing like the "king" was. I would bet every cent to my name you would never see Haden at an Indians playoff game with a Yankees hat on...hmmmm you'd have to air a one hour special about yourself to do something like that, oh wait...


He is exactly what Cleveland has wanted, exactly what the Browns needed on the field, and the perfect example for all athletes on how to act off of it. But maybe most importantly, he is the perfect way for Cleveland fans to forget about the wounds left by the "lyin king." Here's hoping this Joe keeps his talents in Cleveland for years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment